Thread: $10 find
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Rodney

Default $10 find

This followed me home yesterday. I almost didn't buy it. I looked at it a while, there was no price listed. I started to walk out then asked about it. The guy wanted $12. I told him it was worth every penny but I'd have to pass, it was pretty rough and I wanted a runner. We talked a little more then he said $10. I'm weak. I admit it. For $10 I couldn't leave it there. IIRC the serial number makes it a Singer 99 that was made in 1929. Anyway here it is:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468091[/ATTACH]

I wiped the machine down with oil. the clear coat is pretty much history. I've also been oiling the machine since I got it home yesterday and it's starting to loosen up. Before it would barely turn now it alternates between barely turning and running at full speed, pretty much randomly. It still feels a little stiff. I did make a few stitches by hand and that seems basically ok. It just needs a little more fine tuning after things have loosened up a bit more.
It also came with the ruffler that's sitting on the bed. It was as dirty and rusty as the machine, I oiled it too but it could use a little polishing to look decent again.

I do have a question. This machine has a striped faceplate. When did Singer stop the floral or scroll patterns and switch to the Deco stripes?
Rodney
Attached Thumbnails singer-99.jpg