View Single Post
Old 03-20-2014, 07:21 AM
cathyvv

This is a quandary of our modern times. We bought our home 7 years ago, when it was a year old. Since then, the only appliance that has not failed (yet) is our GE washer. It's a top loader with an agitator, mechanical. It works well. I suggest that you go on line and read the reviews for the various washers available at your local big box stores, throw out the best review and the worst reviews and pay close attention to the others.

While appliances have different brand names, most are made by the same manufacturers, so there really isn't that much difference in them. I like the washers with the fewest different cycles and the largest capacity possible.

We had a front loader at one time ; perhaps it was my imagination, but it didn't seem to clean well. It died after about 6 years - racking my memory to think what failed and I'm coming up with the drum rotation failed. Apparently it was cheaper to get a new mechanical washer than to fix it, so that's what we did.

When our dryer (also GE) failed, we checked out dryers on line. After our research, we went to Lowes and bought a low end, very few options dryer. It is front loading and has a much bigger dryer drum than the one that failed. We are much happier with it than we were with the old one - and we don't miss the 'extra' special drying cycles at all.