Old 03-20-2014, 01:38 PM
LauraLynn

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
You need the software to do this project. This isnt a hard project, just tedious. Its kind of like painting by numbers. You scan in your photo then your fabrics then a printed chart of squares (several pages you then tape together) comes out telling you which fabric to put where. I was fortunate to take a class and the teacher had the software on her laptop and brought a printer. Software is kinda pricey IMHO. So I have only made one but it was easy. Mine was not a bed quilt but rather a wallhanging. The original poster sure knew how to pick the right fabrics!
Actually, the software I used was free.
I didn't know of this woman's Quilted Photo website, I kinda came up with the idea on my own. Now that I know she exists, I could ask her for help finishing.

The program I use is called AndreaMosaic, and it is a free download: http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/

There is a tutorial and FAQ and forum for discussion. I will do a proper writeup later, but this is what I use.

The only program I use that requires money is Adobe Photoshop, however, you could use any free program that has similar functions of photoshop such as GIMP or PaintshopPro. I also believe that Adobe Creativesuite 2 is now available for free online. It's not as new but it gives you the function.

I am only 25 so I have been a broke college student while making this quilt. I know that sewing can be a huge expense and it can be very limiting for those on a budget.