Old 03-21-2014, 12:02 PM
LauraLynn

Originally Posted by pw6 View Post
how did you do it? I bought the program from Mosaic studio.. but have never made anything that clear.. yours is so much like a photo, it is just perfect.
thanks for sahring
It's a combination of very high resolution (most pixel quilts are not even 100 x 100, much less 200 x 200) and a lot of source fabric for the mosaic to choose. I bought tiny 0.2 samples of over 250 fabrics to scan in and create my fabric pool.

The thing about andreamosaic is that it doesn't just assign the colour of a fabric to the mosaic as a whole - it looks at the content inside the fabric. So, say, if the swatch was yellow with a black corner, it would try to stick that black corner in areas where the corner is black, such as the edge of hair.

It uses half-tones as well. I set the parameters so that no two same fabrics would touch. This is just one of the settings on the program. It also has the option for no repeats up to four fabrics away (but if you look at my "bad" renders, that one looks really gritty)

Another thing that's necessary for a good clear render is a good source photo. I did a render with this photo originally, but it came out rather dark. So I took the source photo into photoshop, bumped up the brightness and exposure a LOT and then re-rendered it. The computer picked entirely new fabrics for the pattern based on the new values, which I liked much better.

Playing with the saturation and values of your source photo will give you a different render, just like having different fabrics in your source pool will give you a different one.

Here are some samples of my scanned fabric swatches:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]468359[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]468360[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]468361[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]468362[/ATTACH]

Notice on the last swatch how there is a bit of black in the corner? The program I use will rotate the swatch and place it in the best possible position for accuracy. (it can also mirror tiles, but that'simpossible in real life, so I disable that feature)
Attached Thumbnails 109.jpg   115.jpg   165.jpg   073.jpg