View Single Post
Old 03-21-2014, 05:04 PM
Quilter 65

sustraley, I have mitered several corners and do not consider myself at expert. However, I have learned a few things along the way. First of all did you do a strip set of the white and other borders? I have done it both ways and SO prefer it. Starch nice and stiff and stiffer. Then measure the middle of the quilt and the ends (both vertically and horizontally). If you are right on with the same, that is what you use. Some figure an average of the three numbers, if they vary slightly, and I have done it that way as well. Then measure exactly and stitch to 1/4 of the end. I always precut my borders and have them cut at 45 angle and cut the strip set after it is assembled. I have tried (once) to put on individual borders and cut after it was attached as some recommend and it was a disaster. Then just seam the 45 angle stopping at the point on the corner where you discontinued sewing them to the body of the quilt. When I first started, I used freezer paper and ironed it on before I cut the borders. That keeps them nice and straight and there isn't any waving going on. If you don't use freezer paper, then the starch works as a stabilizer. So far, it has worked for me and I haven't had the wavy problem--yet! Yourst is a beautiful quilt and the borders frame it so wonderfully. I especially like the white to set it off. Probably others will chime in with their methods. Good luck.

Last edited by Quilter 65; 03-21-2014 at 05:07 PM.