Thread: Elna automatic
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 10:54 AM
ArchaicArcane

Based on reading the ad, there are a couple of things you're going to want to look at when you get the machine:

1. It IS a zig zag machine - if it wasn't, the cams wouldn't work. The needlebar may need some triflow and some tlc to free it up. I have the version that must be just before this one, an "Elna zig zag" Same type number though and it doesn't take cams.

2. The motor pulley - it's about a $25 part from Ron White, and he rents a tool to replace the pulley. You don't strictly need it if you can stabilize the motor without it. I did it with a quickgrip, because I live in Canada and to ship that tool back and forth would not only cost a fortune, but it wouldn't have made it within the rental time frame he likes to use. The ad says nothing about having addressed the pulley, so chances are it's got some flat spots on it and it will rumble, howl, and vibrate like a freight train unless you change it.

ETA: I wonder if those were Elna cams I had here... if you're not too far away, I might be able to send you a couple of single stacked cams. They say swiss made on them, and I'll go see if I can tell what machine they're for.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 03-22-2014 at 10:57 AM.