Old 03-22-2014, 11:22 AM
ThayerRags

To give you a little more information on my MUTT, I got my idea while a member of the email group TreadleOn. Folks there came up with the term “MUT” (Multi-Use Treadle) long before I came along. However, the MUT was created more along the lines of using one treadle stand with multiple inserts for various machines. The idea was to have a full-blown treadle, complete with drawers and extension top, that various types of machines could be interchanged within to avoid having multiple treadles in a small sewing area. Some MUT builders changed the entire top, or had a combination of multiple tops and multiple inserts, but they generally tried to maintain a full-size working area.

I took the idea a step further to make a more portable treadle stand, so that I could transport it to remote sewing locations (by vehicle) easier. I added the “Traveling” part to my creation, and stripped the unit down void of drawers, drawer hangers, drip pan (or shirt protector), and dress guard around the flywheel. I lightened it up as much as possible for handling, and sized it down as much as possible for space (both for cargo space and booth vendor space). I even selected a treadle stand with pressed steel legs to eliminate as much cast iron as possible to lighten the unit up. The weight of the stand and solid top (without a machine) is about 35 pounds. It weighs less with the Singer top mounted (less wood), but I keep forgetting to weigh it.

CD in Oklahoma