View Single Post
Old 03-24-2014, 07:57 AM
w1613s

I like vintage and antique fabric items and wound up talking to a lady whose business included such things. She swore by

Sodium Perborate

for cleaning them. She said it is available from the druggist only. She also instructed me to speak with the druggist regarding the best way(s) to use it as well as the safest.

Please note that I have never used it but am creating a pile of fabrics that need attention.

One more thing. About Oxyclean. My experience is that it works the best when dissolved in the hottest water possible and the fabric is allowed to soak until the water is cold. Repeated soakings were occasionally necessary.

Tide has chemical wetters that open fiber pores and allow stains, etc. to come out more easily. Had a conversation with a Tide corp. rep. on that one.

Good luck and thanks for sharing my interest. Please let us know what you finally do and how it works. My grandmother loved lacy linens and as she got older did not care for them properly. She passed on at 96 and left some gravy stained, etc. table cloths and napkins that did come clean. And the fabric survived!

Pat