View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
I try to NOT quilt where the binding will be (with, depending on how exactly you do it, will be about 1/4" - 1/2" onto the quilt top edge. The reason, it's easy enough to attach the binding strip by machine. But when you're hand turning it down onto the back, it's much easier to get the handwork done if you're not going over machine FMQ. A lot of time my stitches would show on the front, because of going over existing stitches and them holding the sandwich together so tightly, whereas when there's no stitching, it's a piece of cake to hide the binding stitches.

So even if that doesn't make sense, stop at about 1/2" from all edges and you won't be annoyed later :D
So far I haven't had that problem yet, but it is something I will definitely watch out for from now on. Thank you for the head's up!

I think a meander stitch would work great for this quilt. Nothing too close together or it will stiffen right up and be more like a board than a snuggly quilt. You could also do a stitch-in-the-ditch or outline a few blocks here and there. I wouldn't do anything too fancy because I don't think it would show. Although, if you want to practice feathers or something like that, this would be a great quilt to do that on simply because the quilting isn't likely to show and no one will notice any mistakes. ;)