Old 03-24-2014, 08:25 PM
minibarn

Default Want to start the French polish method but have some questions...

these are probably specific to Glenn, but others w/this type of machine please chime in. I have a White Rotary that I plan to do this method on as a practice machine. It is in pretty bad cosmetic condition, so I don't feel like I have to worry about the decals (they are already all silvered on the bed). Anyway, in the tutorial Glenn used a Franklin that looks just like my White and I am wondering if the spool thing for bobbin winding can come off? Also, how you do clean the tension assembly if it is not to be taken off? My machine has a layer of crud on all the silver parts and, of the ones I have been able to get off, soap, water and steel wool type scrubber have them looking great. Also, a lot of the black japanning one the bed is chipped off all around the edges and unto to bed (sorry i don't have pics) so I wondered about just painting the bed part. But if I did how do I ? And one last thing...seems like Glenn mentioned about cleaning the bentwood cases in the French Polish thread, where do I find that info? The one this machine came is has sharpie marker on it, and the one end has come detached.

Thanks,
Jp