View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 08:21 PM
w7sue

I don't have quilter plates, but I do have Amateur Radio plates. In Oregon, you can transfer your plates when you purchase a new car. We laugh when we talk about mine because I had the 'nerve' to argue with 'an official DMV employee' when I was buying them - I knew how much it should cost (some of the older 'hams' had told me about how much to expect) and the guy kept coming up with different amounts that were way over - it turns out he was trying to make me pay the two-year renewal and I had just paid it a couple of months earlier. We finally settled on a mutually agreeable amount, but it took me and several employees. However, each time I have moved them to a new car I have had problems with DMV - and yes, I am not afraid to argue with them. The second time I moved them I went to DMV ahead of time and asked what to do. When I followed their directions, they said I did it wrong! ARGH! They even messed up the registration on my husband's truck and it wasn't even involved! I am hoping to keep my current car for a long time - I will probably need new plates because of their condition before I need to move them to another car. In Oregon, you don't have to pay extra for 'vanity plates' that are Amateur Radio call sign plates. That makes it nice, too.