View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 08:08 AM
J Miller

Ila,

I have used several of those motors. They are good motors. The brackets I bent required that I put them in a vise so I could control the amount of bending. I couldn't do by hand, and when I tried with the bracket on the machine it just sprung back to where it was.

The original motor is probably just dry inside. The wiring is fairly easy to replace, basically just use the original wiring as a guide and put the new in exactly as the old was.

The old motors do not deteriorate with age as much as you think they might. I have many machines made in the 20s, 30s, and 40s with their original motors, and they work just fine. Usually all they need is cleaning of the commutator and brushes, and lubrication. Sometimes they do need new power cords but that really isn't too hard to do either.

.................................................. .......
19cats,

Simply rewire it. There's a bunch of us here that routinely rewire the old motors, lights and cord blocks rather than put new ones on. Just ask, we'll help.

.................................................. ......

Ila and 19cats,

Here is a thread I did about remotoring a naked Singer 99K:
{ http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t183512.html }
I did this as a learning experience and because that machine had no motor on it when I got it.

Joe