View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 04:51 AM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

It all depends on the type of quilting you do and what you want to accomplish. If you do a lot of traditional piecing and just a bit of occasional applique, then the Accuquilt product may be your best bet. YOu can cut multiple layers of fabric at a time, so you can quickly cut a whole quilt. You can also cut strips the width of the fabric. A downside is that you are limited to shapes you have dies for, so you need to purchase them and store them. You can have an unique die made but there's the cost of that and the lead time. It's also a manual machine, so you need to turn a crank handle. There's no electricity involved (which is a plus for me!), and no computer skills needed. It's a simple machine, there's not much that can break
If you do a lot of applique, then the scan n cut may be the best option. You can only cut one layer of fabric at a time, however the cutting is mechanized so could load a piece of fabric and let it do it's thing, load the next etc, but it will take a while. You are limited to the size of the cutting pad, so you can't cut width of fabric strips. If you need a slightly larger or smaller patch or applique cut, you can adjust it right in the machine. No need to buy and store additional dies. If you want something unique, you can just scan it in, no expense of a new die, and immediate gratification!! It also has the ability to draw the sewing lines on your patches, so if you mark your seams this is a bonus. It is computerized and you need electricity, a bit more that can go wrong.
I do mostly patchwork, so I have an accucut. Go to the brother site and watch all the videos on fabric cutting, then go to accuquilt and watch theirs. this should help.