View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 06:21 AM
IQ2

I move a small hamper and a chair next to my sewing table and spread the quilt over them to support the left side of the quilt to eliminate drag, and I bunch up the front of the quilt in my lap. Some folks have said they move their ironing board next to the sewing table and adjust the height to the height of the table for support. Others move a small table to the left of the sewing table. Anything that you can spread the left side of the quilt on will help.

You also need to remember that you should stop any time you feel you're losing control. Keep the needle down and readjust the spreading of the quilt until you feel comfortable and then start up again. At first I thought that once I started quilting a line I couldn't stop until it was finished. As you proceed, you'll work out a system that works for you and your sewing space.

And finally, get a pair of machingers quilting gloves (or the gardening gloves with the rubber dots on the fingertips). This helps you guide the quilt through the machine also.

Good luck...and keep going. Quilting is now one of my favorite parts of making a quilt and I use a small machine and a walking foot.

Last edited by IQ2; 03-30-2014 at 06:23 AM.