View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 07:25 AM
Sandygirl

Originally Posted by Skratchie View Post
So, I don't know if photos are welcome in this thread; if they aren't let me know and I'll remove it. But I wanted to illustrate why I will never be without an embroidery machine again. I have tried to learn to FMQ. I've taken classes, I've practiced, I've even done it on a couple of quilts. But this is one skill I have not been able to master. Back when I had my Brother 2500D (sweet machine, btw. I was an idiot to sell it) I would use it to do embroidery to "tie" quilts. People loved it, and it made quilting a LOT easier for me. After I sold that machine, I thought I'd learn to FMQ; it just wasn't happening. And now I'm tired of SITD, straight line quilting, and the like.

I'm making a quilt using the Green Eggs & Ham fabric from the Dr Seuss line, and when it came to the quilting part, I was totally stumped. It's not a kid's quilt - it's a nostalgia quilt. I didn't want anything too childish and I didn't want to modify an existing embroidery design. So after a bit of searching, I found a border at emblibrary.com that employs stars, and thought it would be perfect.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]469286[/ATTACH]

Now, at least, when I present this quilt to the recipient, I won't be terrified of what they'll think about the quilting! I don't care if others think it's cheating; I never claim to have FMQ'd it.
cheating? No way!! Love your border and thanks for posting the photo!
Sandy