View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Skratchie

Don't discount the bad reviews just because you haven't had problems with your machine of the same brand. The thing is, the embroidery machines are pretty sophisticated pieces of equipment, and there is more that can go wrong with a combo machine than a straight sewing machine. During my own process to buy a new combo machine, I became really enamored with both the Viking Diamond Deluxe and the Pfaff Creative Performance. While at a dealer one day checking out the CP, I saw a lady who was dropping off her CP for service. She also saw me looking at the CP and she sat in the parking lot and waited for me to come out. She approached when I left the store and told me that she would recommend against buying the CP, as hers had been in the shop three times in six months and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. She also advised against buying a Viking and suggested I do a blog search for those machines to find out what others were saying. Long story a little shorter, I marked both brands off my list, as neither of them are what they were 10 years ago.

My mom has had many Viking machines and has loved them all, but the dealer where she bought them no longer will sell them or Pfaff because of the many problems they've had with the machines.

Definitely test out whatever you are interested in before you purchase, but do your homework too. I have read horror stories of waiting for MONTHS for a new motor for a new Viking machine because the old motor was bad when the machine was purchased, as well as many other stories. Yes, there are always a few lemons out there, but when you keep hearing the same problems over and over you should take note.

For the record, I wouldn't buy a current 7 or 8 series Bernina either based on what I've heard about them. If I were looking at machines in the price range you're considering, I'd be looking at either Janome or Brother. I have both brands, and while Brother is my all time favorite (four machines and counting from them), I wouldn't completely ignore Janome.