View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 04:35 AM
PaperPrincess
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
Paperprincess, if I had the chance to buy bolts or even half bolts of fabric at wholesale, I would jump at the chance. I have a bolt of muslin bought years ago at an auction and it is one of the best things I have in my stash. I personally give you a pass on all that you bought! I will finish my cat quilt today (hurray) and then I can concentrate of looking through stash to see if anything will work for the layer cake sizes I need to a class in May. I keep checking CT and other places that sell layer cakes. There seems to be such a range as to how many pieces are in one. Seems to vary from 20-32-40-42??? I need to get my hubby's math help to figure out how much yardage I need to buy to get 10.5 inch pieces that will come out with no waste. Sometimes, I think it might be better to buy yardage and have a bit leftover than buy just a layer cake. But so far, I have resisted....hard as it is. Thanks everyone!
Sandy, you need to really read the details on those precuts (layer cakes, charm packs, jelly rolls etc.) to understand what you are getting. The thing is they often contain 2 pieces of all the fabrics in that particular line. There's not a set number of fabrics in a line so the number of pieces in the pack will vary widely! Connecting threads lists the yardage for each of their precuts, which is nice. Also, I think that layer cakes are 10" square, not 10.5".