View Single Post
Old 03-31-2014, 05:02 AM
pinkcastle

Default Could there be a long arm in my future?

This weekend my DH and a friend of ours went to a quilt show. DH likes to view the quilt show and really takes an interest in voting for viewer's choice, but he hates the vendors. To my surprise he came and found me while I was checking out the vendors and told me I had to test drive the HQ Avante. Now this was weird because we had pretty much ruled out a long arm for me due to my shoulder tendonitis. So I gave it a whirl and was surprised at how easy it glided over the fabric. Hmmm, the possibilities! Maybe I can handle a long arm! This may even be better for my shoulder given I wouldn't have to wrestle the quilt to get it into position. Now I have the ask myself would I use it enough to justify spending that much money. I haven't even mastered FMQing on my Juki 2010TL. I have just recently come to the conclusion that it is time to look into finding a class.

So now I have a few questions for y'all.

How hard it is to learn how to use the Avante? I wouldn't want to spend all that money and then just look at it askance because it frustrated the heck out of me!

Are they known for having tension issues? That would defeat me in no time!

Do they require a lot of maintenance? How often do they need servicing?

Would you get the 10' or 12' frame?

Is there any difference between the Avante and the Babylock Crown Jewel? I understand they are the same machine, but do they come with different options? Is one more advantageous to have? The Babylock dealer is much closer to me, but the HQ dealer isn't too far away and I understand the HQ folks have great customer service.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!