View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Billi

So everything about this thread got me interested in going through all of my family's old recipes. and then a found a gem. My parents belonged to a national organization the fleet reserve association. (if you are curious) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Reserve_Association.
One of the fund raisers was a cookbook they put together from several of their members. The one I have was the first printing that they went through and corrected before doing a mass printing for sale. It's actually very cool all the hand written notes on several of the recipes with corrections of amounts or ingredients. This book was done in the mid to late 50's and was well used in my family. I clearly remember pulling this book out and making my first shepherds pie. Every Christmas it was brought out to make fruit cake and fudge, I use that recipe to this day. I also still use the recipe for potato salad dressing. Some things Just can't be improved on. So looking through this book I found the tomato soup cake recipe I know we used and a moc apple pie that doesn't look like the one mom made we used ritz crackers and ......well to be honest this page was just to clean compared to all the recipes I know we used. But I thought I would share it anyway.

Tomato soup cake
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 can tomato soup
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt

Mix baking soda with tomato soup right in the can, set aside.
Cream together butter and sugar, add the soup mixture and mix.
Mix in all the rest of the ingredients.

Pour batter into a greased 9 in square pan, bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes
Let cool and frost with basic confectioners sugar icing.

Apple pie without apples

1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups supar
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 cups salted crackers broken up
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg

Boil water sugar and cream of tartar for 2 minutes
Stir in crackers, cinnamon, and nutmeg
Place in unbanked pie shell, top with crust and bake at 425 oven for 15 minutes then reduce to 375 and bake till golden brown.