Old 04-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Smorris17119

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
It could be a number of things. Do you get any free wheeling when you loosen the locking screw?

When I oil a machine that has been locked up, it sometimes takes several days for the oil to work through the mechanism. I ran it every day to work the oil in.

The two places I find are responsible for binding are (in order) the needle mechanism under the end plate and the four corner pivots underneath (see picture). There are adjustment screws for some of these points and if someone clueless has tightened one, no amount of oil will help much.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]469677[/ATTACH]

I would test (in order):
1. Loosen the locking screw and see if it freewheels (assume it will). If it binds, oiling the washer will probably fix it. If this fails...
2. Keep working the oil in over a few days. If this fails...
3. Check/oil the points in the picture and if all OK, make sure someone hasn't tightened any of the screws.
1. Yes it free wheels very nicely with the locking screw loose once I start to tighten it it gets stiff again. Yes good idea I put a drop more oil on the stop motion washer, let's see if that helps.
2. I'm on day 2 with the oil and everything else has loosened up but the hand wheel.
3. The the adjustment screws on the pivoted points don't seem to ever have been touched and everything underneath moves well but not freely.
Ill put a belt on it tomorrow and see if I can get the oil really worked in,
BTW it stitches beautifully
Thanks for your help.