View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Wanda Greathouse

Default Old Treadle Sewing Machine

Hello neighbor, I live in Ceres and that is neighboring City to Modesto. I joined the Quilting Board yesterday and am 77 years old. My Grandmother had a treadle sewing machine and they basicly went out of style around 1950. That's when they went to Modesto and bought one of those speedy electic ones from Sears. I could tell you what some of the attachments are for, but have never owned a Singer.

I went on line and searched for a instruction manuel for my current machine. Then just printed the whole thing, put it in a notebook and now I am all set. Try that, it just might work for your machine.

My sister wildyard got me into this forum, hope we both have fun.
Wanda
Originally Posted by icentropy View Post
Hi all, first off thanks to Macybaby for telling me about this forum.

I was checking out a local Facebook page when i stumbled across an ad for an old sewing machine for sale. They were asking $200. I thought it was pretty neat but not having an extra $200 to blow on a decoration i forgot about it.....till they posted again saying they needed to get it out of their basement and "someone please make an offer".....so i offered them $50 via PM (figured it'd make a nice gift for my wife as a decoration) and they took it! Now i have an old sewing machine in my shop.

I just got it into my shop and cleaned it up a bit with WD-40 (it's all i had). everything seems to spin free. It had an old broken leather band so i just restapled it and that seems to hold. The little research i've done in the last few hours seems to say it's a model 27 from 1899. It came with a bunch of bits and pieces and accessories that i have no idea what they're for but there's quite a few of them. I WAS going to give this to my wife (she's not much into sewing, and has a cheapy walmart machine we bought her years ago for $100 or so that she uses once in a while) but the more i learn about these the more I'm thinkin i might just keep it for myself. Hey it's a pretty manly machine right?

I'd like to learn more about how to restore, maintain and use it. I'm also interested in learning what it can do. I know this is primarily a quilting forum but has anyone used them to sew heavier fabric? denim? Canvas? Leather? I honestly don't know anything about sewing either but I've always been interested and now i have a good reason to learn

Here's some pics. The first three are from the sales ad. The rest are taken a few moments ago at my place after a wipe down of WD-40.