View Single Post
Old 04-04-2014, 04:26 AM
laurafet

Originally Posted by Shelbie View Post
You need to have some neutrals and blenders to make your collection work. When I first started quilting, I bought lots of interesting bright focus type prints. Of course nothing went together. Once I had some tone on tone neutrals (off white, tan, cream, gray, black) and some small prints that "read as solid", I was good to go. I could then pick my focus print from my stash, choose a neutral for the background and use a couple of the small print solids to complement my focus. It worked for me really well. I had always considered neutral and small boring prints unexciting to buy and didn't realize how valuable and necessary they really were. If your chosen fabric has some of those little coloured dots on the selvedge, that will help you choose your solid looking prints.
THANK YOU Shelbie! I have had the same problem to a degree, after finding a couple of really great deals on Craigs List, and major LQS online sales. I was going to just say to pick one you love as your focus fabric and work around it, but you hit the mark with your advice. I tend to find those complimentary fabrics boring to shop for also, but now I know I need to have them!