Old 04-04-2014, 08:23 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

Such good news, QNS! Hope continued treatment and recovery.

Started another project today--not sewing though. I have an old oak curved top dresser that DMIL bought with her mother 65+ years ago at an auction for $3. She gifted it to me when DH and I were first married along with the oak wardrobe they bought for $5. The dresser wasn't in the greatest of shape when I got it but it made do. I've decided to strip off the damaged veneer top--take out the 2 big bottom drawers and put in "shelves". The 2 top drawers are half the width of the dresser with curved fronts. I was going to paint it, but I still hate painting over wood. I sanded fronts of the 2 small drawers and a quick buff over the sides and uprights is enough to take off the thin finish. I'll continue sanding and restain a dark stain like it is now. Often times you can work down to the original wood and come up with a honey oak finish, but will not put that much work in it. So once I get the veneer off and all finish sanded off I'll stain and polyurethane it and the two drawers. Then..... it will come down into my sewing space. I have a 24 x 42 inch ironing "board" setting atop DMIL old ironing board. I plan to use the dresser to hold the ironing board with some storage space underneath.

The ironing board is going to go into our bedroom as a side table covered in old linens, alarm clock etc, but will keep one end clear of accessories so I can use the board to iron blouses and such touch ups before I head out the door to go some where. Will get pictures later.

Hoof trimmer coming tomorrow as it was snowing heavily this morning when he was to come down--we had about 3", but he had more. Made meatballs today--128 in the freezer ready to cook at a moments notice for the June onrush of guests. Cooked up some for tomorrow's dinner.

Ready to call it a night. Later.