View Single Post
Old 04-05-2014, 03:57 AM
CarolynMT

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
the best way to avoid problems is to contact the magazine and ask them- some of them state right in them you can display a quilt, or enter it in a show-
Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
I write to the designer and ask, just to be safe. For the most part it's as easy as sending an email. Thus far, all have been very nice, respond quickly, and say "go for it!"

I am not sure if I had an question about copyright that I would contact the people who would benefit from said statements. I can write anything I want on my magazine or pattern, doesnt necessarily make it true.

If you are confused about copyright rules, the best source of information on what you can and can not do would be a copyright lawyer, not the writers/publishers.

In my study of the issue, pattern designers only have copyright on the pattern itself not on the products made from the pattern. Which is how it should be. Now with that being said, if you are entering a quilt into a show, it might be courteous to notate that the pattern was designed by XX. The poster who said keepsake returned a quilt that didnt have permission. They are an independent company and as such can set rules however they like. It wasnt really a legal thing per se (in my mind) but a courtesy thing and the way keepsake decided to do business.