Old 04-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Tartan
Power Poster

You want to pre-quilt the center design with a light batt, join all the blocks like a regular quilt top with batt and batting and then re-quilt the straight lines in the blocks? Yes, you could do that. The only problem would be the extra batt edge. I think I might quilt in the fancy design, straight stitch the inside of the one edge of the straight blue design. This would anchor the batt and you could trim away the extra batt just outside the blue line stitching. This would have the extra batt secured so the edges won't wrinkle up when you make the quilt sandwich. (You could trim after the first fancy design but since the center is white you might see the edge of the extra batt.)You can the SITD around the outside of the line second line and between the blocks. When the quilt is completely quilted,I might add a little design in the center of the block quilting design to anchor the center of the blocks to the quilt back.
By the way, quilting a design with a thin batt and then sandwiching the quilt to quilt again, is how some people do a trapunto effect on their quilts. The extra batt in the center area will give a pretty trapunto look but if this was not what you were asking, never mind.