View Single Post
Old 04-07-2014, 02:40 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Well for now, I have more than I should cracked open..before taking these machines on I had a White on my table waiting for wiring and now I am halfway through Rain's series on potted motors so I open up the motor on the green 15. I seriously need to focus on one thing at a time!
When you get a bunch like that it IS hard to know where to start. I wish you were close - we would all be over to just look and stroke them all. I was lucky, my sister came up from Mesa and spent a week and we went through a lot of them and cleaned and oiled - I didn't say repair... I just wanted to see what moved and what didn't. I sort of made notes what each one needed as I did that. Some will be ok with a little TLC and some will need major work. At that time we didn't want anything to do with the really derelict machines. Now they are my favorites. Today Wilbur who is 4 came over and we worked over a 1980s White. Then while we were waiting for Daddy we looked at before and after pictures. I think that put things together for him. He knows the guts of a machine as much as a 4 year old can. He has seen a machine that wouldn't move perk up and move with Tri-Flow. He knows lint needs to go away. Today I let him take apart a bobbin area and put it back. His little fingers don't have enough co-ordination yet to do it all but he gets the idea. You may find a young friend who would benefit from learning and would love to help you with some of the cleaning and oiling. You may decide to part with some of the machines rather than keep. You may have to decide whether to sell them as is or all fixed up. Parts machines are very nice to have. I have some for parts and they save lots of time & money compared to buying on line from who knows why something was parted out. You may find some will do up rather quickly and could be sold and gotten out from under foot. Then some that need extra TLC can just wait until there is more time and space.

Last edited by miriam; 04-07-2014 at 02:42 PM.