View Single Post
Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by emmy View Post
I've had a White Superlock for many years and only used the 3 or 4 thread overlock, not because of the threading, but because of the manual tension stitch adjustments. I, then bought a used Viking 936. Again it was bear to get a nice rolled hem, for example. One day a friend brought her Bernina and her TOL Viking. We spent hours trying to get a perfect rolled hem on each machine to no avail. The next day I bought a Babylock. You choose whatever stitch you want, thread it, and every stitch is perfect. To me, having perfect stitches so easily was the deciding factor, not the threading. The only time I do a sample is try different thread combinations.
I agree, yes, I would have loved the auto threading but the Huskylock 21 has built in stitches so it sets the tension and having Vikings I knew it was a good machine. I had a Singer over 20yrs ago, still do somewhere and I learned how to thread it so I figured since I was saving over 700 on a great machine, I could figure out the threading thing on my own. The little perks like self threading are great and maybe one day if I use my serger like I'm saying I want to I might invest in one and use this one as a trade in but self threading does nothing if it doesn't sew the stitches right or is hard to figure out. Simplicity is nice but it needs to continue after the machine is threaded, I have enough stress in my life and I don't need a piece of equipment to add to that. I have enough humans doing a great job at that part