View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Tiffany

My local quilt guild has an annual UFO Challenge. This is where we daring quilters write down that we will actually finish a UFO (Unfinished Object). I signed up but was wise enough to not put down a specific project. Instead I wrote down wallhanging. That seemed safe enough. I started to work on a bed quilt I started something like 15 years ago. I actually finished the top and then realized I wouldn't be able to go out and buy any batting before the meeting where it was due.

Change of plans.

So I grabbed up a top I had finished but had not yet quilted and thankfully I had enough batting for it. This is a UFO from October of 2006. It was from a Mystery Quilt Challenge run at my guild's annual retreat. I was up quite late working feverishly to finish it. I got it all quilted and applied the binding. Now remember, it was late. The last thing I did was trim the batting and backing away. Often I will cut this away and then add my binding but when the quilt has corners that need to match up at the edge, I will wait and cut my binding and back after I apply the binding.

The next day I am sewing the binding on when I come to one of my mitered corners and discover I have accidentally cut a section out of my binding. :shock: ACK! That's okay, the guild considered it done enough that I didn't have to pay the $5 fine for not finishing. (Great fund raiser!) The next day I spend time ripping out most of the binding, making more, and reattaching it. I then sew down the binding and I get 3 of the 4 sides done when I reached the corner, and yep, you guessed it, I found another small hole where I'd cut through the binding. (I need a crying smiley here!) I threw the thing into the corner and walked away for a couple days. Once I'd recovered, I took the binding all the way off and just redid the entire thing. I think it turned out pretty good.

So this is what I've been working on for the past few weeks. It's been slow going because I've had the flu and I've been dealing with migraines (which keep me off the computer) and we learned my father-in-law has esophogial cancer. Hence the reason I've been very silent the last two weeks. At such times quilting sure can be a God send! Well, not with the migraines but with everything else. I sure have missed everyone!!!
~Tiffany

Valentine's gift for my Secret Sister in one of my local guilds.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5791[/ATTACH]

Ignore the pins. It's just been washed and I'm blocking it before hanging it up.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6710[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-5791.jpe   attachment-6710.jpe