Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 AM
Sunflowerzz

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I'm thinking tar and bug remover is ok if it is clear varnish or lacquer on the machine - but you are likely removing shellac under that black stuff. I had one not long ago I used tar and bug remover on then had to get some shellac back on the machine. One way you can kind of tell if you are getting too deep is to watch to see if the black stuff is turning brown. If so you went too deep. Glenn should be back in a couple days or a week and he will have some ideas about this.
Thanks Miriam. What is happening is I am removing a dry ugly tobacco brown with the bug and tar remover until I feel the area getting smooth and it looks shiny black and the rag I use to wipe the gunk off is looking much cleaner. There is still a little discoloration on the rag. What is left is a nice shiny black that wipes fairly clean so I still don't know where I am exactly concerning the shellac (varnish or lacquer )coat. But by the time I finish with this machine and all y'alls help I should be more knowledgeable for the next machine. Quite a learning experience.