Old 04-11-2014, 06:17 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by missgigglewings View Post
I talked to the lady who traded me the Singer 15 treadle and did not know it wasn't a clone. It is rather loud and clackity, so she is willing to trade it for one she knows for sure is a clone. I went and looked at it last night and it is a beautiful machine and treadles so easy and so quiet! Is this a good trade? I do want to, but would like your opinion on it first. Especially Miriam and oldsewnsew..you two seem to know a lot about these lovely old ladies. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!
I'm thinking the above is a pic of a Featherweight. Then you posted a picture of a Singer 66 on the clone page. Can you show me a picture of the two machines you are wanting to compare? I have a Singer 15 on a treadle - it has a heavy hand wheel so moves very nicely in a treadle. The clone would have to have a heavier wheel to move as smooth as the Singer 15. If you are using electric the clone should be fine. If you are treadling you want one with a heavy wheel. Have you given the machine some Tri-Flow? Some times they just need a few drops and some times they need a good cleaning of dried oil. If an older Singer 15 is on a table top without something to raise it you would be lucky to get it to move at all - they have parts that go down below the risers when the machine turns.