View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 05:29 AM
Barb in Louisiana

The very light colors & seersucker suggest a summer quilt to me. Summer quilts weren't meant to be as heavy as a winter quilt. I mostly use Warm & Natural or Warm & White, because it is the most readily available for me. I love the White with light colored fabrics. It seems to make them brighter. Since your fabrics are so lightweight, I would definitely use an over all panto that crosses back & forth across the seams so that all the fabrics are equally supported with the quilting stitching. That will help prevent pulling on these lightweight fabrics that could cause them to tear. If you do the quilting yourself, think wavy instead of straight lines, crossing back & forth across the seams, to support all the fabrics.

There are lightweight interfaces out there that could provide extra stability for your top, or even add a piece of white muslin (extra wide with no seams) under your pieced top and before your batting to further stabilize the top. This suggestion is from my clothing sewing days, hasn't been tried by me in a quilt, and would have served as a lining in a garment that you would wear.

I agree with the others to use a slightly heavier backing fabric, thus giving the whole quilt more support. Sounds like you will have a lovely quilt when you are done. Could we have a picture, please?

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-12-2014 at 05:32 AM.