View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 06:46 AM
michelleoc

Default Any movie recommendations?

My DH, teenage DS and I have a movie night once a week. We finally cancelled our Netflix mail because we couldn't come up with anything we wanted to see. We still get streaming and have begun using RedBox. Does anyone have any "you gotta see this movie" recommendations? We like all different types of movies, but I don't want to see movies like the wall street movie with DiCaprio, which has the dubious honor of holding the world's record for the number of times dropping the F Bomb. A few instances of it, which they feel compelled to put in, just makes me cringe, but I can try to ignore that. I also don't want to sit next to my son seeing nudity or sex (of course, he does make a joke out of it, covers his eyes and yells "My eyes!!!")

Movies that we have seen recently that we have enjoyed:
Escape plan - Stallone and Schwarzenegger. Prison movie, brutal (I shut my eyes), but it was actually a "thinking movie". Didn't LOVE it, but better than I expected.
Frozen - Loved, loved, loved!! The animation was so excellent there were places that it actually looked real.
About Time - Rachel McAdams (I think I'm the one person in the world that doesn't particularly care for her as an actress). Personally I think this is one of those hidden gems. I didn't hear much about it when it was out. I thought it was a wonderful movie. I recommended it to all my neighbors. They all said, "Oh, you mean the Time Traveler's Wife?" No, it's a completely different movie. I laughed, I cried, it made me think, it made me appreciate the little things.
The Book Thief - terrific movie. Don't see it if you aren't in the mood to cry.
Philomena - Judi Densch...nuff said.
Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - even though it's been around awhile, I keep it on my list. Just an absolutely lovely film.