View Single Post
Old 04-12-2014, 08:30 AM
Sunflowerzz

Default Pillow Talk...sorry it is a long post.

Hi, I usually post in the vintage sewing machine section but my question would go better in this forum I think.

I have had trouble sleeping and have been doing lots of research on pillows. My symptoms lead me to the obvious conclusion I am allergic to my pillow. I had been having headaches for about three months that develope at about 1:30 am and last until 4 the next day and nothing would stop them. I thought I was just developing the dreaded migraines for my 60th year of life..LOL. Turns out it was a fluffy 100% polyester blanket given to me at Christmas. Whenever I got cold and pulled it up around my face I got the headaches and I didn't put it all together until last week because it was so random!

I have developed a slight case of rosacea or what I thought was but apparently it can be from pillow allergy. I have tried, latex, buckwheat hulls ( too noisy ) I am allergic to feathers, wools, lanolin's and a few other fibers but cotton and silk are good for me. I checked my current pillow and it is polyester. I get very stuffed up after I go to bed and about 1 hour after rising it clears so now I really need to make myself an organic cotton or silk or both? pillow with organic pillow cases and I hope it will solve my miseries.

I am a newbie quilter sewist and have only made one quilt many years ago and have decided to try out some of my beautiful machines ( I started a new hobby back in Sept.) with quilting projects. I know nothing about fiber fill, batting etc. What I have read though is that the cotton fiber mashes flat pretty quickly, some is washable some isn't. My question is could one use a combination of layers of cotton and silk batting and fiberfill to help maintain some loft? Or would that complicate the washing of the products? All cotton then?

Any suggestions where I could purchase quality organic products to make up the pillows? Any suggestions from anyone who has gone through this would be extremely helpful.

I think for tonight until I figure something out I will use the one bag of pure cotton batting I bought to learn to quilt with and put it into a cotton pillow case and if all goes well I will charge ahead and make pillows for hubby and myself and the guest the bed. I have no idea which would be hotter or cooler or fluffier or how to make it dense. I actually like two pillows to sleep with one is thicker and firm and the one on top is thin and soft so I can cuddle it and squish it.

Thank you to anyone making it through this long post and thank you for any helpful hints or experiences. Appreciate it very much.
Lorraine