View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 12:07 AM
cricket_iscute

I asked an 30-something English teacher at a local high school to clear up when "bring" should be used and when "take" should be used. She said she didn't know; they don't teach that kind of stuff in school anymore. This woman had just completed her master's degree in English (not English literature). I asked how she grades her student's papers when grammar and spelling are involved; she said she just skips that part.

Do any of you know about bring and take? If I say I'm going to take a book to school with me, doesn't that mean I was not at school when I said this, but that I am headed for school? And if I am at home and ask my husband to stop at the store on his way home and bring milk home, don't I use "bring" if the thing to be brought is at the store currently? Doesn't the choice of which word to use depend on the location of the person who uses it? (I hear this mistake on the local news all the time.)

I was able to get an answer from a retired teacher for the difference between fewer and less. According to her, I am less tired IF I CANNOT COUNT OR MEASURE IT, and have fewer flowers IF I CAN COUNT THEM.

Cricket

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 04-13-2014 at 12:11 AM.