View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Rodney

Tex scale is a way the manufacturers use to classify thread sizes. I don't know enough to properly answer the question or even to ask the right questions here. Apparently the thread industry isn't standardized to any great degree. Sizes vary by diameter and by how many strands make the thread.
Coats & Clark dual duty use weight as a measure so it would be 50 wt thread. With that standard as the numbers get bigger the diameter gets smaller.
Tex scale is used by industrial thread manufacturers. I don't know all the details but the bigger the number the bigger the thread.
My general impression is hand quilting thread is generally 30 or 40 wt. That may be sufficient for what I want. Tex 60 would be the size of top stitching used on your average pair of jeans.

I'm not even sure how to phrase my questions correctly but basically I want to know if people have used the larger thread diameters to quilt in their home machines, not long arms or industrial machines, what they used and if they were satisfied with the results.
I want the finished quilting stitches to be sort of like the decorative top stitching on jeans or like sashiko when I'm done
I want to find out if there's a reasonable chance of success before I spend the money on thread or ruin a quilt top.
I do plan on practicing on a quilt sandwich before I attack the quilt.
Clear as mud, right?
Rodney