View Single Post
Old 04-13-2014, 12:21 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LR85 View Post
I am so pleased to hear someone else has one of these machines. I have recently wanted to start sewing and my father-in-law has kindly given me a machine that belonged to his mum. From what i hear she loved it very much, its had a lot of use and has been very well looked after. I am also lucky to have the original leather case and manual. After many hours reading and setting up the machine I am eager to start making things. Unfortunately after 2-3 inches of stitching (just when I think I am getting somewhere) I hear a noise and if I don't stop it quickly enough then the needle starts to bend. When i open the bobbin area,the bobbin has moved and the thread has got caught. I am starting to think I may be missing something and am getting worried I may damage the machine. Any pointers or tips will be greatly appreciated. I know I could buy a new one which might be more straight forward but I love this machine and its family history and really want to get it working well.
A real thorough cleaning then oil it. Then thoroughly clean up the tension and adjust it. Thoroughly clean and adjust the bobbin tension. Then see how it goes. Cleaning and properly adjusting everything can take care of a lot of sewing machine problems. A copy of the manual should go a long ways to show you how to care for the machine as well as use it.