View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 AM
luckydiver17

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I use solids a lot and have for many years. These are the differences, and the similarities, I have noticed between Kona Cotton Solids and Moda Bella Solids. These are from my experience only; others may have drawn different conclusions.
  • Both are 60 square broadcloth.
  • Moda Bella has a softer hand off the bolt, but they are very similar when prewashed/washed.
  • Moda Bella has a slight sheen to the surface that can give the finished work a softer, more refined appearance.
  • Kona Solids tighten up, and soften up, when prewashed/washed.
  • Kona Solid colors can vary, sometimes quite noticeably, between dye lots (no experience with Bella on this point).

And a note to Lucky about Kona PFD...it's chemical free. That's what makes it 'prepared for dyeing'. The absence of chemicals means it doesn't have the wrinkle inhibitors, softeners, insect repellants, formaldehyde, and other chemicals that standard quilting cottons (including Kona Solids) do. And that's why it seems more stiff and wrinkly to you. Hope that helps.
Oh I had no idea, thanks for the info! Do you think it's OK to use as just white? I've already pieced with some of it and I bought 5.5 yards! I hope it's OK to use...