Thread: favors
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 09:42 AM
clem55

Default learn to say no!

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
I'm getting a bit aggravated. I was asked by a friend at church to hem several pairs of jeans. Well like most of you, I don't sew clothes, just quilts. I've made some curtains, as a matter of fact, that's what I was doing when he asked me. Hemming curtains for the youth room. Anyway, I said yes, much to my frustration now.
I'm about ready to give them back to him and tell him I just can't get it done. I'm having trouble getting them even and both legs the same. I want them to look nice and do an excellent job. I'm just not sure I'm skilled enough.
Does anyone have any advice or tips for me? I would so appreciate some. Thanks, Gina

Gina, I've hemmed many a pair of jeans, I have three sons and three grandsons. I didn't worry about perfection. I just measured from the bottom of the leg , whatever I needed to shorten, marked and allowed for the double fold hem, and cut and sewed. I did buy a gold color jeans thread for the hemming. My thought was the jeans should have been hemmed by the manufacturer evenly, so I was following their measurements. Don't stress over it!! I've had too many favors asked of me over the years by friends who don't sew, and they think I should be glad to help. I learned early on not to say yes all the time .