View Single Post
Old 04-16-2014, 11:39 PM
reachingup09

Question VERY thick blanket!

Ok, I am very new so I apologize if this is in the wrong place - Please put it where it needs to be if it's wrong!

I need some advice!

My project is a little unorthodox, and it's not exactly a quilt, but I figured the method would be similar.

My husband and I will be living in a tent for a while - not sure how long - so I am making an extremely thick, wool, 2 person sleeping bag. The wool batting is 4" thick, the bottom side will be thick hemp canvas for durability, the top will be some type of thick cotton, and the interior will be probably linen. I'm also making a "sheet pocket" that we can remove and wash like a regular sheet. The entire thing laid flat will be about 108"x75" and will be folded to 54"x75" (we're both pretty small). I'm also debating between an ridiculously giant zipper and a row of buttons as a closure for the open side.

Now, I know I need to tack the layers together to hold the batting in place and keep it from being a big, billowy mess, but how in the world do I baste a 4" thick comforter? Are there pins that enormous? Not to mention this thing is just really really big, so I need a way to hold it in place while still being able to work on it.

Should I just lay it all out and work from one side? Wouldn't starting in the middle be better with everything held down?

Sorry for all the questions - if this is something no one has any clue about because it's so weird, I understand, but I'm really stumped on this one!

Thanks so much!