View Single Post
Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deedum View Post
I thought polyester threads cuts into your material over time, that we shouldn't use it? Is this a myth?
Actually, I think there might have been some truth to this in the distant past when polyester threads and poly-covered cotton threads first came on the market. Anyone familiar with polyester knits? They must be made with indestructible polyester thread, as they never show wear.

Polyester sewing threads are made today to have the same tensile strength as cotton threads, so it's not a problem. You can test poly and cotton threads by snapping between your hands; you will likely find they snap at about the same pressure. It's not the same kind of polyester thread used in polyester knits!

Edit: I will mention that I have found that I don't get as nice a seam in cotton when I use polyester thread, even when it's a thin thread. That's why I prefer to piece my quilts with cotton. I think the advice to match thread content to fabric content is great! I love polyester thread for quilting, though -- especially the hint of shine that Glide thread gives to my quilting. Brightens up my quilts without being obvious.

Last edited by Prism99; 04-17-2014 at 09:17 AM.