View Single Post
Old 04-21-2014, 11:37 AM
Rodney

Default Minor Thrift Shop Score Today

I've had a moratorium lately on visiting thrift stores while we try to get our budget troubles sorted out. Mostly I've been good but I decided to stop into a couple today "just to look". Yeah, Right.
At our local Goodwill I found nothing I couldn't live without. They had 1 semi-old (1980s?) Singer sewing machine that really didn't do much for me and that was about it.

There's another thrift store in the same parking lot. Growing Places. It's a thrift store that benefits troubled local teens. They have two stores in the Centralia/Chehalis area and a farm where they raise plants and produce to sell. I think they're a very good cause, we have plenty of troubled teens around here. They were also 50% off today.

I found a Singer Professional buttonholer for slant shank zigzag machines with a bag of vintage class 66 bobbins and assorted slant shank feet in it. I was mainly after the bobbins. We have 4 machines here that use the bobbins. There's also a couple needle plates. I haven't checked to see if they fit our Touch & Sews or a different machine. I haven't sorted it all out yet but one was a darning foot. The price: $2.50 after the discount. I'm pretty excited, the bobbins alone were worth that to me. Now I just have to tell my wife I went shopping...

I do have a question. I've heard of people using old blankets for batting. Goodwill did have a few that looked like they would work. I think they're emergency blankets. I don't think I'd give someone a quilt made that way but I'm not picky for my own use. Has anyone here done that and what did you think of the finished quilt?
Rodney