Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 AM
Judi in Ohio

Originally Posted by Likethedog View Post
Hi -- I've been sewing for about 16 months. I have a vintage machine from about 1960, very basic, non-computerized, of course. It doesn't have a walking foot and I can't find one, and it has some tension issues.

I'm thinking of getting a new machine. My budget is tight. Right now a local store has a Singer 4423 heavy duty machine (the gray one) for $120 and I've read good reviews of the Brother CS6000i with 60 built-in stitches which I can find for about $150.

Anyone had experience with either of these models?

I want the machine for quilting and for making bags from duck or home decor fabric, also little things like hemming curtains and making scarves.

Thanks for any comments or advice. Sorry if I've put this in the wrong category.
Since you are talking about sewing homedec fabric I am going to agree with finding a vintage machine. The old Singers are tough - a 201, 301, 15-91, all will go thru thicker fabric. These newer machines have motors that just don't go thru tough fabric. Old Necchi's are priceless, wonderful machines, old Kenmores. Buy the Brother for the fancy stitches and find a vintage oldy but goody at Goodwill or someplace that has reasonable prices on the vintage machines (some people think because they are old makes them valuable - they are, they are just plentiful - look in Craigslist also.