View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 09:51 AM
Carrie in PA

YAY! Something i know something about. I have done a lot of hand dying and there is no reason why you cant tie dye fabric to quilt with. I made my daughter a blanket 9 years ago with hand dyed fabrics and it is holding its color beautifully. It's just a receiving sized quilt with bright colors on white sheeting. Over the years it's been beat up and dragged through dirt and "yucked" on when she was a baby. I have heavily bleached it in hot hot water many times and the color is still good, just not quite as bright as it would be if i hadn't bleached.

Make sure you use quality dye and quality fabric. Procion dyes and 100% cotton. There is a lot of bleeding when you hand dye but use Retayne to set the color and synthrapol to prevent bleeding. Dharma Trading Company http://www.dharmatrading.com/dyes/dh...cion-dyes.html has all of the information you need and if you can't find an answer to a question, they will answer emails. Instructions are on the site and they will include instructions with any kits that you order.

After you are finished making your quilt, wash it again in a full washing machine with 1/8 cup of dawn dish washing liquid and then run it through a second time without soap to make sure all of the dawn is rinsed completely. There's something in dawn that acts a lot like synthrapol, one of the surfactants.

I am going to see if i can find where my daughter stashed her blankie so i can get a photo.