Old 04-24-2014, 03:09 AM
citruscountyquilter

I would stay away from the Singer machines available at Walmart JoAnn's etc. I know several people that have gone that route and the machines ran poorly or broke all together. The warranty is minimal and it costs more to fix them than what they cost in the first place. I don't know about the Brother. I would scour for a good used machine if you want to replace your machine. I currently have two 1970's era Vikings and they are going strong. One I've had since it was new and the other I bought used. We got a used Necchi for our daughter-in-law to replace the cheap Singer she had that wouldn't sew right. Paid $200 for a nearly new machine that runs like a dream.

I have not found a machine that I haven't been able to get a walking foot for. I have purchased them for my self and picked them up for friends most of who have older machines. They even make one for Singer Slat machines. Nifty Notions is the brand I've purchased most often and it's called and "Even Feed" foot. Runs around $25. They make different ones depending on length and size of the shank of your machine. Check on-line or at sewing machine stores for availability. I have them even for my 1930's era Featherweights.