View Single Post
Old 04-24-2014, 06:50 AM
Sewnoma

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Heat sets some organic dyes (and definitely organic stains! Try dropping some carrot juice on your socks, the way I did, to confirm.) Almost all dyes used on fabrics these days are chemically-based. Heat alone is usually not enough to set them; that's why factories use chemicals to permanently set the dyes.

In short, tossing in a dryer will not set most dyes (but will set some stains).
I should have known it wouldn't work, or else everybody would be doing it! Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
In my house they're USED, so they are washed like any other bedding or household item that needs it. The only quilts that don't get frequently washed are hanging on the wall. If they're on the bed, couch, chair etc. they get washed!
Oh goodness...we have 3 dogs and 2 cats and they're always slumped on our laps. Our quilts are washed very frequently; some of the lap quilts in the living room get washed at LEAST every other week, if not weekly. Bed quilts get washed less often (animals aren't allowed up on the bed) but at least 2x per year.

I got some great evidence as to why prewashing is a good idea recently and it made me think of this thread... DH & I were buying a whole lot of yardage to make a bunch of new curtains and when they unrolled the fabric TWO SILVERFISH came darting out. Ugh!!! Seeing that made me grateful my quilting stash is all pre-washed, otherwise my imagination would have me thinking it's all crawling with bugs and bug poop. Yuuuck! The fabric we bought isn't washable (groan) so it's sealed up in a plastic bag with some cedar sachets right now "just in case" we missed any creepy crawlies. Once the curtains are made I will probably have them dry cleaned because even though I can't see it or smell it I'm sure there's bug poop in there.