Thread: Left Handed
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 06:18 AM
fabric=fun

My pet peeve is when others comment on my being left handed (LH) as though it is a disease!! I see it as a unique trait - after all, there are fewer LHers and I can choose to interpret that as special! I personally think it is more of an advantage than a hindrance - like acquiring the ambidextrous skills and having more L and R brain crossover and function. I personally would like RH others to just not find it necessary to so often make the comments about seating arrangements, etc. - I and likely most LHers can easily make their own adjustments without disrupting anyone else.
I seem to have adjusted to using sewing tools O.K. Most rotary cutters can be changed to LH and when I got some tendonitis, the Martelli LH cutter was a great purchase. Changing the direction/side of the fabric and ruler on the mat solves that dilemma easily.. The extra time I take to interpret patterns means I have looked more closely at all the steps and less likely, I think, to make a mistake. Ambi scissors are fine and my LH gingher shears are a bonus.
Although I have L and R confusion at times I have learned to treat it with a sense of humor - after all, think of all the naturally curly haired people who would like to have straight hair sometimes and the straight haired who would like curly. Having curly hair is often seen as an advantage - except to some of those with curly hair. I hope I have not offended anyone, I have not meant to - its really that being L handed is just one of the things that makes me who I am, no better or worse than anyone else.