Old 04-25-2014, 04:13 AM
citruscountyquilter

I am a big fan of washable school glue basting. No overspray or fumes that you get from spray basting. No extra weight and bulk that you get from pins. So much faster and easier on my back and fingers too than pin basting.

I do it in sections so you don't need a huge table but as large as is comfortable. I lay my batting down and holding the glue bottle 6-12" above the bat I let the glue come out in a thin stream. I make a large zig zag pattern with the glue and then go in the other direction. You don't need much glue. I then lay by quilt back over that and smooth out with my hands. If I'm in a hurry I'll run a hot iron over it but I usually just let it sit there for a few hours until it's dry enough and then reposition it and repeat the process for another section. When the back is done I flip it over and repeat it for the front. So easy and no wrinkles ever. By putting the batting down first you have more weight than with the fabric and things don't shift. You are also controlling the fabric with your hands when you lay it on top of the batting so there is no clamping down of anything. Anything else that came along would have to be pretty fantastic for me to change!