View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 05:35 AM
ShowMama

Originally Posted by ShowMama I have a recipe for Pinto Bean Pie that won me a trophy at a pinto bean cookoff many years ago. It's very similar to chocolate pie.

I've also made Mock Coconut Pie using spaghetti squash instead of coconut. You couldn't tell the difference from the real thing.

"Those sound fun too care to share them?"

Sorry, but I was unble to find my Pinto Bean Pie recipe. I haven't made it in years and can't imagine where that recipe could be. But I'll keep looking.

I did find the Mock Coconut / Spaghetti Squash Pie recipe. Here it is.

Spaghetti Squash Pie

1 medium spaghetti squash
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup water
3 egg yolks, beaten
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 unbaked 10" pie shell

Wash squash; cut in half and discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in Dutch oven; add 2" water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cover & cook at a gentle boil for 25-30 minutes or till a fork easily pierces the squash. Carefully remove the squash from the pan, drain, and allow it to cool. Then using a fork remove the spaghetti from inside the squash. Measure 1 1/2 cups to be used in the pie.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Combine the sugar, brown sugar, flour, milk, water, egg yolks, butter, and extracts, mixing well. Stir in the 1 1/2 cups of squash. Pour into the pie shell. Bake at 450 degrees for 5 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 40 minutes or till pie is set.