Old 04-26-2014, 03:56 AM
Cogito

Originally Posted by Likethedog View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I think my best course is to keep looking and thinking, visit the two local stores that sell machines and offer service, as well, and keep my eyes open for somthing sturdy and used. My biggest wish is for something that will quilt more readily -- the one foot I have with my machine squishes the layers together, and won't allow me to do anything but stitch in the ditch or straight across a little at a time.
As a collector of vintage Singer machines I can agree with all the above about the Singer sewing machines starting from the 1970's and just getting progressively worse. Plastic gears break, don't have the power, etc... I have read all here who say they love their Brother and I did a fair bit of research on the Brothers and there are many, many complaints about the brothers as well. Basically if you really have to have a newer machine with bells and whistles, then you should wait and buy a Bernina, or Babylock, but plan on spending at least a couple of thousand for a better machine.

BUT, the recommendation I have is to buy a vintage singer that is ALL metal geared, powerful and reliable! The best machines loved by quilters for FMQ are the Singer 15-91 (I own 3), the Singer 301 (I own 6) and the Singer 401 (I own 4) and I vouch for everyone of these models for quilting as I use them regularly!
the Singer 301 and 401 are much lighter and more portable than the 15-91 the main difference between the two is the 301 only sews a straight stitch (beautiful straight stitch) and the 401 has 24 or so built in decorative stitches. Both of these machines are known as slant needle machines and quilters love them because the slant angle of the needle allows a better view of what you are sewing. The 401 does have a drop in bobbin compared to the vertical bobbin of the 301 (uses same bobbins as a featherweight).
The 15-91 is also a straight stitch machine and with its vertical bobbin is prized by quilters for the beautiful stitch it makes and ease of quilting...this machine is quite a bit heavier (that's what you get with all metal gears and cast iron body!) but also sews some pretty heavy duty fabrics...it will take the larger needles needed for canvas sewing, etc.
the beauty of these machines? They are next to impossible to "break!" And if you should need some sort of part, they are easily available. The biggest issue to look for when buying is to be sure the wiring is still in good shape. Some of these machines may need to be re-wired because after 50+ years...but even that is cheaper than buying a new cheap plastic machine. You can most likely find one of these models locally...watch Craigslist...for $25-75 depending on condition and model. That's my 50 cents worth!