View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 06:18 AM
Macybaby

I'm not sure what the Leader I'm looking for looks like . . .

I was looking in the book "The Encyclopedia of Early American Sewing Machines, 3rd Edition" by Carter Bays, and he has a short section on machines of the era I'm interested in. " A comprehensive list of vintage sewing machines (circa 1900-1925)" and then a "brief company history" of the companies he considered of significance to this era. My goal was to have one from each company -

Davis (have)
Domestic (have)
AG Mason (have)
Household (have)
Foley & Wilson (have)
Standard (have)
Free (have)
National (have)
New Home (have)
White (have)
Wilcox & Gibbs (have)
Singer (have)

New Leader - Bays says this company is NOT the same as the earlier Leader Mfg that went out of business in 1884, but does not now know if it was a related. This second company has records of producing machines from 1926 -1933. He also says the names on the machine were related to the company name - such as New Century Leader, New Leader, New Love. Unfortunately for my needs, this book has only a handful of pages devoted to the machines I'm interested in. It has way more information on toy sewing machines!

The Boye list I have is from earlier than this machine would have been made, and I don't know if it's VS or Rotary.